Snow...I mean SNOW in Mammoth

I went to Mammoth last weekend with Erika, Meli, and Lauren. I never thought Erika would be able to come with us, seeing as we work together. We would be taking Friday off, and the company would be in utter chaos if one of us wasn't there (we man the phones). But we got the gracious OK from the boss-man (aka my father-in-law). I don't think he knew what he was getting himself into.

Left work a little early, picked up the other girls, and headed to In-n-Out. My favorite non-fast food fast food (they sure know how to do bun-free burgers).


We were half an hour from Mammoth when we got pulled over by a CHP officer (a hot CHP officer; who, noted by Lauren, was wearing a nice red CHP turtleneck). White out conditions were ahead, we could wait on the side of the road for the road to open or turn around. No way were we turning around. We made it this far! The closest town offered nothing but lodging, and we were in a Tahoe. We had room. Well, we soon found out that a Tahoe does not comfortably shelter 4 girls with their luggage. At least the snowboards were on the roof. Little sleep and 6.5 hrs later, the road was open. After hitting the sack at 7:30am, this was officially the longest trip to Mammoth in Malme history.



Since I was supposed to teach 3 girls to snowboard, I wasn't quite up for it on 2 hrs of sleep. And the girls weren't up for learning. So we did what girls do best...shop! This is when I found my new hobby...4-wheel driving in the snow! There were piles of snow all over the place since it had snowed the night before...so I put Chris's new 4x4 to work. Great investment on our part.

Saturday was an awesome day of snowboarding. I've gotta say I'm a good teacher. At least they told me I was, and they did great! Actions speak louder than words :) Lauren even went on an intermediate run with me a couple times! I'm so proud. First half of the day was sunny and warm. After lunch, we came out of the lodge and it was snowing. (Didn't put a damper on our time though.)





It snowed the rest of the day, on the way home, the rest of the night, and on into the next morning. We woke up Sunday morning to a blizzard outside. Over 20" of new snow...a snowboarder's paradise, right? Too bad we weren't on the slopes. And we couldn't go home because the road was closed again!

The boss-man was worried. After missing Erika and I both from work on Friday, he couldn't bear to have us gone on Monday...an even busier day at the office. (He realized on Friday what he had gotten himself into.) He kept watch on the weather and road conditions, and was the first to let us know when the road was open again. I had woken up with a migraine that morning, so I hadn't even thought about packing. But we had to make a run for it while the weather permitted. So the girls packed up and helped clean (they were so great!) Melissa and Lauren even shoveled snow that the storm had left in front of the garage. And we were off.

0 comments:

Back to Home Back to Top Mrs. Mancove. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.