What CAN I eat?!

I had an allergy and hormones test done today (among other things). It's part of a whole health and wellness treatment I'm doing in seek of the cause of my migraines. I always wanted to re-affirm my intolerance to gluten, so that it did. Here is a complete list of all food I am allergic to:

vinegar, yeast mix, coffee, wine, albumin (cowsmilk), cheese (except feta/goat), amaranth, gliadin, gluten, oats, rye, spelt, wheat, soy, peanuts, peanut butter, thyme, carrots, celery, potato (white), and tomatoes.

Quite impressive, isn't it? Who knew someone could be allergic to so many things. Actually, they call it a "sensitivity," so I can have these things in moderation, but should just try to stay away from them. I would have thought I'd be depressed after this news. Heck, being allergic to peanut butter alone is almost the end of the world (but I learned of almond butter, and Henry's roasted almond butter is pretty darn good). I think what has kept me in high spirits are a few things...

1. I have already known I'm intolerant to gluten and soy, and have already cut them out of my diet. And I had a hunch about cow's milk, so I don't drink milk (I'm not willing to cut out cheese...I will cut down). So, knowing that I've already cut out one item that is in so many things, I know I have willpower, and I know I can do it.

2. I know it will make me feel better. Before I went off gluten I was getting several migraines a week. Since going off it, I get 1-2 per month. Seeing that improvement gives me hope that I've finally found the rest of the problem. (In addition to the hormone issue I have...more to follow.)

3. Since I am gluten-free, I know that there are ways around your intolerances. For example, I bake with rice flour and tapioca flour instead of wheat flour. I eat nut thins instead of wheat thins. I have quinoa pasta instead of wheat pasta; to name a few.

The other thing I had tested was my hormone levels. This is the main issue I was concerned with, because I already knew my migraines are hormonal. Turns out that several of my hormones are too low. I got a hormone supplement to hopefully correct this issue. Maybe if the hormone issue is fixed, I can still eat things I'm sensitive to and be fine. I'll still be doing plenty of testing on my own, so I'll let ya know!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...
November 20, 2008 at 10:21 AM

I am so sad for you. In fact, to anyone reading this I yelled at Jayma for giving me her oatmeal. And almond butter rules, if it wasn't more expensive I would eat it all the time. (I suggest Henry's honey-roasted almond butter...they package it and it comes in little tubs...and it is to die for). But just know that you rule, and you migraines don't. And I'm sad I lost a fry partner. At least you can have popcorn! I wonder if they make a speltmeal to take the place of oats? And CHEEZE. I know how you are about cheese. I don't think there's anything left with carne asada fries that you can have except the quacamole if it doesn't have tomato in it. We'll order you beans and avocado next time we get Mexican food here. Anyhoo, we love you, and I will eat your stinkin' oatmeal if it will keep you from having a migraine.

Back to Home Back to Top Mrs. Mancove. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.