Thankful for the Ordinary

The pitter patter of rain hitting the roof...
The aroma of food coming from the kitchen...
The sound of my dog howling at sirens as they go by...
My husband breathing (and sometimes snoring) as he sleeps...

I’m thankful for it all.

It is easy to say thank you when things are going your way, or when you receive something unexpectedly great. But we often forget to thank God for the everyday. So many things in our lives go unnoticed, but they’re certainly appreciated.

The rain we’re getting—albeit it’s not a lot—is appreciated, because here in Southern California we’re in a drought. We need to be thankful for every drop of rain we get. But it’s more than that…hearing the rain outside means that I have a home to live in. My home keeps me dry. Even though my apartment is (much) smaller than I’d like, it’s cozy, and it’s home, and it’s perfect for right now.

I love to cook and I love the different smells that fill the house when I make dinner. We are fortunate to have a healthy meal on our plates every night. I appreciate my ability to cook and to be creative and be able to whip something up even when I haven’t gone to the grocery store for a while. God has given me a means to provide for my husband, and someday, my family.

One of my favorite things is when my dog is sleeping in front of the couch and all of a sudden a siren goes by and he howls. It never fails to make me laugh. It reminds me that I have a dog who is like a child to us, depends on us to take him to play and exercise (well, my husband), to feed him, and to give him a loving home. I can’t imagine my life without the energetic bundle of joy that is Oslo!

Sometimes Chris tends to breathe heavy or snore when he sleeps. It usually doesn’t bother me because I can just give him a little tap and he’ll stop. But it reminds me that he is by my side no matter what. I am married to a wonderful man who I love, and who loves me, and who I am so happy to be sharing my life with.

There are so many more things that I could talk about, but most of all I am thankful that God gave me the grace to realize that it's He who has blessed me with these things. Without Him I am nothing.

So praise God for the mundane, the ordinary...along with the extraordinary, because it is the same God and the same grace that provides it all.

1 comments:

Meli la gringa said...
April 21, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Well said, my friend. Well said.

Back to Home Back to Top Mrs. Mancove. Theme ligneous by pure-essence.net. Bloggerized by Chica Blogger.